Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Mi corazón siempre estará en Barcelona

I truly was not ready to leave Barcelona after a short month there.. Barcelona deserves much more time than that. Anyway, that last week there I had a lot of time to reflect and think about some of the things I love most about the city, and about Spain in general.

Here are a handful of the many things I love about Spain:

  • The people - I LOVE the old people who fill the city, the parks, the benches. There are always old couples just sitting on benches, chatting with their friends, walking their dogs. I also love that there are families everywhere with babies and small children saying "vale." I remember this little boy whining to his dad saying "quiero jugo! jugo!!" (I want juice!!) Cute.

Left: A couple of cute old women I saw while walking home from La Sagrada.
Right: I took this while waiting for Mu-Ping.. it was in a park where I saw 2 older couples sitting and chatting while these boys were totally content playing soccer with just the cement and a ball. They were amazing at fútbol!

  • The dogs - there are dogs EVERYWHERE in Spain! I love it. Lots of yorkshire terriers, I don't know why... my señora had 2 yorkies :)
  • The language - now that I'm not in Spain anymore I miss speaking and hearing Spanish SO much. I finally learned what it means to really immerse yourself in a culture and to pick up a language just by being there, speaking, listening, observing.. it was also interesting to hear the Catalan and to learn a few Catalan words while being in the city. Catalan is such a beautiful language (it's a mix between Spanish and French!). I'm so fortunate that while in Barcelona, I was exposed not just to Castillano but to Catalan as well. Two languages for the price of one!

This billboard was everywhere in Spain after the world cup. It says "It's our year. It will be our era." Love it.

  • The lifestyle & pride - Spaniards live a much more relaxed lifestyle and it really puts another perspective on what's really important. Life seems to be revolved more around family and friends and less around work. One example is how it's pretty rare to "eat on the go" as we often do in the U.S. (I'm definitely guilty of this) as people view eating as an opportunity to sit and chat with family and friends and to actually enjoy the food.

Enjoying a traditional Spanish meal with Toni, Montse, and friends in Parlava. There was no real occasion but they still went all out and we had a nice chance to sit, chat, and enjoy each other's presence =)



An example of the pride that Catalunyans have.. I must say that after living in Barcelona, I do have a certain loyalty to Catalunya <3
  • The buildings and balconies - Gorgeous. I loved the mixture of old and new and especially the balconies, always filled with potted plants, flowers, and the occasional clothesline. Ah, how I miss the clotheslines...



I miss Spain so much I can't even describe it. Hopefully I'll be able to return very, very soon. Until then, I have many fond memories to keep me company. Hasta pronto, Barcelona. <3>

No comments:

Post a Comment